Thoughts blown from a life of faith.

This blog is an attempt to encapsulate in words God's amazing-ness! And what He has been doing in my life as an overflow of His great love for us. Hopefully, you'll let Him do the same for you. =)

Friday, September 30, 2011

The rebel sigh



Teach me to feel that Thou art always nigh;
Teach me the struggles of the soul to bear -
To check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh;
Teach me the patience of unanswered prayer.
(Spirit of God, Descend Upon My Heart - George Croly)


"The hope was always there that God's will would bring us together. It might not be that, I knew and I realized that The deepest spiritual lessons are not learned by His letting us have our way in the end, but by His making us wait, bearing with us in love and patience until we are able honestly to pray: Thy will be done. Acceptance of whatever that means is the great victory of faith that overcomes the world.


'Commit thy way unto the Lord;...and he shall bring it to pass.' Sometimes I was sure 'it' would mean marriage. Other times I had to accept it to mean the will of God, which could be anything, including, of course, permanent virginity. I found that the commitment had to be reaffirmed almost daily. It was the taking up of the cross daily that Jesus spoke of. Is it a tough thing to do? Then do it. Take it up at once. Say yes to God. He will bring the very best to pass.


Is it dishonest to say yes to God when you don't really feel like it? Is it lying to Him to say "I'll do Your will" when your heart tells you you really want something else? You recognize that 'rebel sigh' that the hymn writer mentions.


...When obedience to God contradicts what I think will give me pleasure, let me ask myself if I love Him? Can't I say yes even if it means a sacrifice? A little quiet reflection will remind me that yes to God always leads in the end to joy. We can absolutely bank on that."

(An excerpt from Passion and Purity, Chapter 19: The Rebel Sigh by Elisabeth Elliot)

Share this on Facebook.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home